Ofaginzy redux

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Mar 30 02:55:35 UTC 2007

I have found one reference which gives a pronunciation for "ofaginzy". It
is an English-Chinese on-line dictionary apparently produced by and for
Chinese:

http://www.iukm.com/Dictionary/?Words=ofaginzy

The pronunciation is given as "OH-fuh-jinzy" OR "oh-FAY-jinzy". Took me a
while to decipher the weird phonetic symbols.

How did the authors of the site find these pronunciations? Are they
reliable at all? I don't know.

[The translation seems reasonable: something like "American slang (black
persons' word): white person(s)" according to my primitive understanding.]

-- Doug Wilson