Ghetto/nigger-rig

Sarah Lang slang at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue May 1 04:36:58 UTC 2007

Yup.

Annoying when you actually live in the "ghetto" and have to clarify.
Or, frankly, when it comes out of the mouth of your students who(se
parents) are paying $50K for them to go to school.

Anyone familiar with "nigger-rig"? As in hacking something together
to make it sort of, kinda, just barely work?

S.

On Apr 30, 2007, at 10:10 PM, Doug Harris wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Ghetto
> ---------
>
> While that usage may not yet be documented in the likes of HDAS or
> OED,
> it most _definitely_ has been 'standard' for ~at least~ 6-8 years
> among
> teens and 20-somethings in NY if not elsewhere.
> (the other) doug
>
> =============
> I've looked in HDAS and the OED, and I didn't find "ghetto" listed
> as an
> adjective, as in "Buy a replacement on ebay for $20, don't replace
> it with a
> plain mirror, that's ghetto."
> (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.chrysler.sebring/msg/
> 905ec155d0ee9