MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

Tue May 1 17:05:04 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

[Re: the early-'90s Buffalo rock band "Milf"]

> I found a concert ad for the band in The Ithacan (student paper of
> Ithaca College) from Sep. 17, 1992, and the name does indeed appear in
> all lowercase.
>
> http://dpr.oclc.org/Repository/ITH/1992/09/17/004-ITH-1992-09-17-001-SINGLE.PDF#OLV0_Entity_0023_0002

And here's the earliest article mentioning the band in the Buffalo
News archive (via NewsBank):

-----
Buffalo News, March 13, 1992
TUGBOAT ANNIE, MILF and BLOOD SUGAR will team up for a night of
alternative music beginning at 11:30 for an 18-and-over show at the
Cabaret, 255 Franklin.
-----

There are 40 mentions of the band in the Buffalo News archive (mostly
from 1992-95), but unfortunately none of the articles explain the
acronym, even obliquely.

--Ben Zimmer