Tight = drunk

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 1 18:33:07 UTC 2007

I've known "tight" for "drunk" as well as "tight [i.e. filled to
bursting with its host's blood]  as a tick" for "drunk as a skunk"
since childhood - early '40's - and I'm a native of a dry county in
East Texas. Maybe this is dying out and younger people don't learn it.

-Wilson

On 5/1/07, Your Name <ROSESKES at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Your Name <ROSESKES at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Tight = drunk
>
> A friend in Texas says she has never heard "tight" used as a euphemism for
> "drunk."  Here in upstate NY it's quite common.  Is the expression  really that
> regional?
>
> Rosemarie
>
> The people who are late are often so much  jollier than the people who have
> to wait for them.  -  E.V.  Lucas
>

> ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb