Tight = drunk

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 02:58:51 UTC 2007

"Tight as Dick's hatband"?! Whoa! Far out, man! That's one of my
mother's very favorite catch-phrases. I had no idea that it had
anything to do with drunkeness till this moment. She used it only to
describe something that was liiterally tight: "The skirt that that
young gal had on was as tight as Dick's hatband!" I've never heard it
or seen it used by anyone else, either in person or in print, before.
Till now, my basic impression had been that this was just some
otherwise-unknown, East-Texas piney-woods expression. You never know.

-Willson

On 5/1/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Tight = drunk
>
> "Tight" basically means "drunk," not "tipsy."  "A little tight," which seems to be throwing people off, means "a little drunk." "Kind of tight" means "kind of drunk."  "Tight as a tick," "...a drum," "...Dick's hat band," etc., mean "very drunk," not "very tipsy."
>
>   If I say, "X came in tight," the degree of X's drunkenness goes unstated, but X is indeed "drunk."
>

>   JL
> Sarah Lang <slang at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------