"Pannomion"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed May 2 22:04:49 UTC 2007

I have previously suggested that OED3 seems to be less interested than
earlier editions of the OED in automatically including coinages of major
authors.  Today I was reading Jeremy Bentham's letter of 30 Oct. 1811 to
James Madison (one of the most arrogant letters ever written, by the way
-- in it Bentham offered to write the laws of the United States himself).
In that letter Madison uses the word _Pannomion_, referring to "a body of
Statute law."  A Google search yields 374 hits.  Why isn't a word like
this in OED?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986