question about African-American mimicry

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu May 3 11:18:49 UTC 2007

Darla,

I covered AAE and White speakers imitating one another (and noted the
same levels you remark on as particularly distinguishing) in a 1992
article (Talking black and talking white: A study in variety
imitation. J. Hall, N. Doane, & D. Ringler (eds). Old English and
new: Studies in language and linguistics in honor of Frederic G.
Cassidy. New York: Garland, 326-55), and Betsy Evans worked
extensively on a Northern speaker imitating West Virginians in Evans,
Betsy E. 2002. An acoustic and perceptual analysis of imitation. In
Daniel Long and Dennis R. Preston (eds), Handbook of perceptual
dialectology, Volume 2. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 95-112. Evans'
chapter contains an excellent review of the literature on imitation.
Eric Thomas has a number of interesting recent studies in which he
looks acoustically at some of the characteristics you have in mind,
but it is in authentic not imitated speech. Nevertheless, it is
important baseline information for such considerations.

dInIs