Mystery of living shorter

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 3 13:43:17 UTC 2007

At 8:10 AM -0500 5/3/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>In the same vein, how would generative grammar generate "live long"
>but exclude "live short" as a standard feature of the language?
>
>Gerald Cohen

We do have both "a long life" and "a short life".  The absence of
"live short" alongside "live long", as either verb phrase or
adjective ("all the live-long/live-short day"), is not something that
generative grammar would find either problematic or for the most part
particularly interesting.  All theories would stipulate, without
explaining, the existence of paradigmatic, lexical, and (as in this
case) collocational gaps, although in some cases there may be some
explanatory mechanisms from pragmatics, historical, or other
non-synchronic-grammatical sources.  I'm not sure why this would be a
particular problem (or a particular advantage) for generative
approaches.

LH