yea/ yeah

Thu May 3 23:29:03 UTC 2007

My wife (from Cleveland, of German extraction) frequently says /ja/.
So do real upper-class British RP speakers, though their /a/ is a
back one, making their version sound very Germanic.  In fact, at
Edinburgh, the students from such backgrounds (viewed as snobs and as
twits) are frequently called "the Yahs".

Paul Johnston