Early appearances of "irregardless"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 4 01:30:31 UTC 2007

>Btw, "irregardless" is almost certainly a blend ("regardless" +
>"irrespective").
>
>Gerald Cohen

I wouldn't say almost certainly.   The redundancy of negative prefix
+ privative suffix represents what used to be a much more robust
pattern found especially among adjectives of the form "unXless" in
the 16th and 17th centuries, typically meaning 'unXful' or 'Xless'.
The OED, under un(1), 5a, lists such forms as

unboundless
undauntless
uneffectless
unguiltless
unhelpless
unfathomless
unmatchless
unmerciless
unnumberless
unquestionless
unremorseless
unrestless
unshameless
unshapeless
untimeless
unwitless

So "unmatchless", for example, meant 'unmatched' or 'matchless".  Nor
is English alone in allowing such redundancy; cf. German
"unzweifellos", lit. 'undoubtless', but actually 'doubtless'. (The
literal reading arrived at compositionally in these cases is ruled
out by the general constraint that prevents attaching un- to
evaluatively or formally negative bases (e.g. *unsad or *unhostile
alongside unhappy, unfriendly).  Perhaps a blend analysis makes sense
for some of those , but "unmatchless" would be more plausibly a blend
of "unmatched" and "matchless", and we don't have analogous sources
for "irregardless" (regardless + irregardful?). Some speakers may
have "irrespective" in mind--but it's no slam dunk, as Mr. Tenet
would say.  Similar redundant morphology pops up with un-verbs and
their kin:  unthaw (= thaw), unloose(n), debone, dissever,
unshell,...  Blend analyses don't seem (to me) particularly
compelling in such cases.

LH