fag out

Fri May 4 14:20:10 UTC 2007

I agree completely with JL's assessment.

Speakers of contemporary American English know that "fag out" means 'wimp
out' or 'crap out' and that it also has connotations of 'grow weary' or make
weary'. In the reported exchange, given the ages of the speakers involved, their
putative sexual orientation, and the relatively intimate nature of their
relationship, it seems highly unlikely that the speaker who said "fag out" rather
than "wimp out" had any sense in his mind that "fag" AS HE WAS USING IT had any
connection to homosexuals--any more than a guy who says, "She tried to put her
fag out on my arm" will think that people will think he is not talking about
a 'cigarette'. This does not mean that the speaker did not know that "fag" can
also be a homosexual slur, only that in the context the alternative meaning
did not enter his mind. Ironically, it may even have been that the speaker
chose "fag" rather than "wimp" or "crap" because "wimp" has a connotation of
'cowardice' that he did not intend to convey, whereas "crap" (at least to an older
generation) is a 'dirty word' that one should not use in public.

When I did a search-engine search (just now) for "fag out on," I was amazed
to find how many people were offended by the statement. Joining the
Putatively-Offensive-Language Police has become something of a national obsession, I
guess.