Embarrassingly Enough, ...

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Fri May 4 14:26:18 UTC 2007

This may be the same (epidemic type) thing, or perhaps it's
just regional, but I've heard, over the past several years,
an increasing number of people in these (Central NY) parts
say "onto", or "on to" where "on" once sufficed.
Example (re an old table): "It's got some original paint onto it."

(the other) doug

And speaking of epidemics of odd preposition use: Little by little over the
past few years, my students seem to be globally replacing "in" with "within"
("Within sonnet 19, Milton alludes to . . ."). WHY, I wonder.

--Charlie