"As Well."

Fri May 4 14:34:46 UTC 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 9:18 PM, James Stalker wrote:

> I wonder about #2 being specifically Canadian.  I spent 4 years in
> Turkey,
> editing a lot of Turkish English.  Introductory "as well" was a
> favorite.  I
> suspect that it's origin is British rather than Canadian.
>
> Arnold M. Zwicky writes:
>
>> ... 2.  sentence-initial discourse linker: As well, there are the
>> children to consider 'Also, there are the children to consider'.
>> disparaged by some, but apparently ok in canada.

i didn't say that #2 was specifically canadian, only that it was
apparently *standard* in canada.  this use is very widespread in the
U.S. and (i think) the U.K., but is disparaged by some usageists in
those countries as non-standard.  editors in those countries are
likely to replace initial "as well" by "also" (or the weaker "and"),
while in canada they'll probably leave "as well" alone.

and i *certainly* didn't say that this use of "as well" originated in
canada.  it's a natural development from the #1 use, and probably was
innovated many times in many places.

arnold