The hoard speaks -- or writes?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue May 8 13:48:49 UTC 2007

        At least the statement is technically correct.  I'm a big fan of
the writings of J.K. Rowling, but I don't care for the prophecy about
Harry Potter and Voldemort, which says in part that "either must die at
the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."
Actually, they've both survived through the six books of the series so
far, and they both seem to be alive.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joel S. Berson
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:48 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: The hoard speaks -- or writes?

At 5/8/2007 08:30 AM, Charles Doyle wrote:
>Here's another head-scratcher:
>
>Yesterday I watched the fine motion picture _The Scorpion King_ (2002),

>a saga of multiethnic barbarians in the remote past (at least one group

>referes to itself solemnly as "the hoard"), somewhere in the Middle
>East. Near the beginning the protagonist (played by that gifted
>thespian The Rock), pledges--jointly with two confederates--the
>destruction of an adversary: "As long as one of us lives, he will die."

Yes indeed.  Did the movie have subtitles (a la Gibson)?  Or did it show
the viewer the tablet of their commandments, where they misspelled
themselves as "hoard"?  (Sorry, Charlie, I don't mean to pick on you; we
all mistype -- or are mis-spell-corrected.)

Actually, I like "As long as one of us lives, he will die" -- a strong
statement.  And if both of us die, he will die too.

Joel