(neither) nor

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue May 8 16:21:52 UTC 2007

And if, instead of "nor," it said "neither" (or "nother") alone in that position ("Kent Smith neither anyone [else] . . ."), it would be good Middle English. For late-modern times, the OED ("neither" adv. [conj.] 2a) gives only Caribbean uses of "neither" sans "nor."

I'm not sure about "neither," but I have heard black speakers in Texas use "either" in a parallel way: "We're going to serve ham either chicken" (where ME would most often have "other").

Of course, historically "or" is a contraction of "other," while "other" and "either" have been closely associated for reasons of phonology and semantics--if not etymology.

--Charlie