(neither) nor

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 8 22:43:13 UTC 2007

At 2:51 PM -0700 5/8/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Sounds stupid though it's not unprecedented. It contains one less
>place than the alternative. Or maybe the editor doesn't like to
>start a headline with a negative.
>
>Two thumbs down.
>
>JL

while we're at it, let's retro-edit Shakespeare (All that glisters is
gold), or these others:

All things are lawfull unto me, but all things are not expedient.
        [I Cor. 6:12]
Every one cannot make music.                            [Walton]
Thank heaven, all scholars are not like this.           [Richardson]
All is not lost.                                        [Milton, Shelley]
Each man kills the thing he loves/Yet each man does not die.    [Wilde]

We'd need those thumbs and lots more--universal subjects within the
scope of auxiliary (sentence) negation have always been with us.
Note too that typically in speech the fall-rise vs. straight fall
intonation will disambiguate the construction, as it would in
Beverly's example.  Unfortunately, much is lost (even if all is not
lost) in the reduction to writing.  My current favorite example of an
ambiguous all...not is
"All forms of sexual orientation are not legal."
[Jack Stark, president of Claremont McKenna College, Claremont, CA,
explaining in a                         November 1989 letter why the
college should reject a proposed non-discrimination policy]

LH