Can sound be put in these messages?

Thu May 10 12:37:54 UTC 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 06:32, Dennis Preston wrote:
> I suggest we look into a repository of our own where we might store
> such items.

As Jesse has suggested, the ADS web site is suitable for this. I
believe over the last eight years I have had such a request one or
two times before for other kinds of files. If anyone would like to
make a sound file available to the list, please do the following:

1. Send me an email about the file, telling me what it is and how big
it is. Don't include the file at first. I don't want to be surprised,
either, if a user tries to send me a 700 MB rip of a CD-ROM. It
happens--Jesse's caution is justified. Also, if the file goes beyond
the obvious parameters of Fair Use, we may need to talk about if, or
how much, of the file we can post.

2. I'll either have the person send me the file via email (if it's
small enough) or assign them a unique FTP login to the server so they
can upload it.

3. If I deem the file is too big or in too strange a format, I'll
transcode it to something smaller or more universally accepted. Some
lossless compression formats, for example, though seemingly ideal for
dialect work, are often not widely read without each listener
installing new codecs.

4. Once the file is situated on the server, I'll send the original
submitter a unique URL which they can include in their post to the list.

Total turnaround time should usually be a few days or so.

Grant Barrett
Vice President of Communications and Technology
American Dialect Society
http://www.americandialect.org
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org