The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat May 12 17:10:02 UTC 2007

At 5/12/2007 12:19 PM, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>That sure is a nifty map. And the conclusion seems sound: "People who say
>"Pop" are much, much cooler."
>
>Scot LaFaive

Very nifty!  I would add it also shows the pernicious influence
radiating from Atlanta of the Coca Cola company.  With some
transmission via Cape Horn (or the Canal) to the west coast.  But as
for "pop" being cooler, "soda" is pre-eminent in New England, where
winter is the longest season of the year.

But I am distressed at the obscuring of my state's -- remember,
Massachusetts once governed New Hampshire and Maine -- apparently
formerly predominant "tonic" within "other".  (I had to learn
"tonic", as well as "frappe", when I came East from N.Y.C. to Boston
for graduate school.  While I was old enough for alcoholic beverages
in N.Y. at the time, I was too young for them in Massachusetts.)

And it seems one can't click on "Total", as the page suggests doing.

Joel