"early" ex. of initial "myself"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 05:43:40 UTC 2007

I thought that I was being clear, but, apparently, I was not. In BE,
you ordinarily say things like, "_Me myself I_ don't believe that, no
kind of way." You don't usually say either "_Me_ I don't ..." or
"_Myself_ I don't ..." You can also say things like, "I don't believe
that no kind of way, me myself," but it's not particularly common. I
once dated a (black) woman, Anglo-Saxon of name, from the Cajun
Capital of America in Louisiana - the name escapes me - who
occasionally said things like, "I don't believe that, no kind of way,
me." But she considered this kind of postpositional echoing to be a
Louisiana yokelism that she studiously avoided, unless she'd had more
than a couple of drinks and was not able to take her usual care in
monitoring her speech. She's the only black person that I've heard
heard use this turn of phrase, whether from Louisiana, Haiti, Belize,
Surinam, etc.

I don't see that there's anything to be replied to, given that the
original was positioned <har! har!> as little more than an idle
comment of relatively trivial interest.

-Wilson

On 5/3/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "early" ex. of initial "myself"
>
> Of course you're right, Arnold. I replied to Wilson's post because it was the handiest one in the thread.   Not that I need any excuse to reply to Wilson.
>
>   JL
>
>   "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb