"Is it" appended to questions

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 14 13:16:48 UTC 2007

Lynne, thanks for the article, the references, and the possible
support for Wales.

Perhaps the following tale will help you distinguish Welsh
speakers  :-)  A Welsh- (and English) speaking computer industry
colleague of mine had worked for several years in Italy.  I asked him
how he got along speaking Italian.  He replied that he just had to
remember that in Welsh what was important was the consonants, in
Italian the vowels.  (I was reminded of a story of my
mother's.  Asking for directions to the Piazza Garibaldi in Naples,
she was not understood until a local said "Ah!  'GariBAAAHLdi!'" and
pointed the way.)

Joel