Parse this: Pentagon fields new Language Corps

Sarah Lang slang at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon May 14 14:50:33 UTC 2007

Nope, the Pentagon is serious (if that is the correct word): http://
www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=10845

[Sidenote: many friends I know who are in a top tier PhD program and
speak any currently relevant languages have been interviewed by the
CIA. One friend, when asked "are you fluent in Arabic?" his reply
"which dialect?" was met with complete confusion. "Dialect" seemed to
be as foreign a concept as arming soldiers with, let's say, a
phrasebook.]

S.

On May 14, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Landau, James wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Parse this: Pentagon fields new Language Corps
> ---------
>
> I suspect that the article below is either a hoax or greatly
> exaggerated.
>
> Notice the number of cutesy and not particularly accurate comments
> ("few
> Latinos who haven't forgotten...", "retake New Orleans" (which we
> purchased)).  Also NOBODY talks about a current "peace" in Iraq and
> the
> one safe prediction about Iraq is that, no matter what happens there,
> DOD is going to need Arabic interpreters and translators (does the
> writer realize that there are other countries in the Near East besides
> Iraq where Arabic is the native language?)
>
> There are any number of non-Hispalnic Americans of recent immigration
> heritage who are fluent in their heritage language.  Many of them
> are in
> the Armed Forces.  Example: during the failed 1980 raid on the US
> Embassy in Teheran, the raiders included a number of soldiers who were
> Farsi-speakers.
>
> Between the two World Wars the US Navy had a "language officer"
> program
> in which naval officers were stationed in foreign countries, Japan in
> particular, solely for the purpose of learning the local language,
> so a
> "Language Corps" is hardly a new idea.
>
>     - Jim Landau

Graduate Student, PhD Program