Work on regional variation in mass/count nouns?

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Mon May 14 16:55:44 UTC 2007

Thanks. Yes, there are definitely studies of English spoken by Texas
Germans like this one:

Wilson, Joseph B. 1980. The English Spoken by German Americans in
Central Texas. Languages in Conflict, ed. by Paul Schach. Lincoln:
University of Nebraska Press. 157-173.

And there's a good general overview of German-influence English
across different areas:

Howell, Robert B. 1993. German Immigration and the Development of
Regional Variants of American English: Using contact theory to
discover our roots. The German Language in America, ed. Joseph
Salmons, pp. 190-212. Madison: Max Kade Institute.

But I don't think that any of these treat this particular question.

Joe