Work on regional variation in mass/count nouns?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon May 14 20:01:35 UTC 2007

OK, Wilson, I'll mention them!

As a child and adolescent, I also heard Czech (as well as German) spoken on the streets of my hometown--especially on Saturdays when the farmers would bring their families into town to partake of the cultural life (the [last!] picture show, the domino parlor, the two "meat markets" that served link sausage and soda crackers on plank-and-sawhorse tables covered with pink butcher paper). There IS a good book on the Czech Texans--by two Aggies whose names (and the title of the book) elude me at the moment.

As for the Texas Germans, those in the Fredericksburg/New Braunfels/Luckenbach nexus considered themselves aristocratic compared with the somewhat more recent immigrants to the Weimar/Schulenburg area (Weimar was my hometown).

--Charlie