[C18-L] vampires and the press

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri May 18 11:59:40 UTC 2007

[Cross-posted from C18-L]

The article in the Boston Weekly Rehearsal (June 5, 1732) was
discovered, and reported here, by me, not by Fred Shapiro.

And as I noted:
>(I'm forced to concede that this must have appeared in the London
>press a couple of months earlier, but since little of the 18th
>century newspaper files is in text-searchable data bases, my find
>may survive for a while.)

So Michael has fulfilled my prophecy, but much sooner than I would
have liked!  :-)  Although only by 16 days -- unless the London
Journal files for January 1732 exist somewhere.

As I reported in my OED submission (but not on the list), the
dateline in the Weekly Rehearsal article is unclear (1721 or the more
likely 1732); but it and the Craftsman article both have January 7.

Joel