Rock-paper-scissors redux

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat May 19 06:05:02 UTC 2007

>The jury is out whether Jim Breen's first definition is derogatory or
>not. I've gotten one response so far on it.

I have inquired of a native-Japanese correspondent in Japan. He says
"kuronbo[u]" = "Negro" is/was considered insulting/derogatory. He says
Japanese used this word "when he was a child" (i.e., 40-50 years ago), but
"now nobody uses it." Of course this cannot be strictly true since a word
cannot disappear completely so quickly, but at least it would seem that
maybe the term is not routinely encountered now.

-- Doug Wilson