Hockey

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat May 19 19:19:16 UTC 2007

I too have the distinction, but I'm an older Minnesota native (younger
Minnesotans now merge the 'cot' and 'caught' vowels, to 'cot').  But
southern Ohio has (roughly) the same kind of merger found in eastern
Canada, where the merger is toward 'caught'.  It's not fully open o
(=backward C) though but rather midway between /a/ (short o) and open
o--described in some circles as "turned script a."  Hence I hear "hockey"
as close to, but not identical with, "hawkey" all the time in this part of
Ohio.  It puzzled me when I first came here in 1980, but it doesn't now,
obviously.  It's also the Pittsburgh vowel merger; I used to be puzzled by
my colleague's naming of her husband as "Dawn" until I realized she was
merging 'Don' and 'dawn' to something close to "dawn."  Following N/t/k all
affect this vowel, variably (Wells 1982 has the presumed order, but I can't
recall it offhand).

I don't know where Richards is from, but his pronunciation of "hawkey" may
be not "an imperfect attempt to produce the contrast" but his own true
vowel use.  We've been round this issue many times on this list, so the
Archives should have many exchanges on it.

Beverly Flanigan
Dept. of Linguistics
Ohio University