Info re Melvin A. Butler needed

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sun May 20 01:03:17 UTC 2007

Some time back, I suggested to the editors of the _African American
National Biography_ (AANB - to be published in 2008) that an entry on
Melvin A. Butler be included. I am now completing that entry.

Professor Butler's life was short - he was murdered when he was in his
mid-thirties. When he died, he was English Department Chair at Southern
University in Baton Rouge. I had the privilege and rich experience of
teaching at Southern University in the late 1960s and very early 1970s,
and I knew him there.

If you have information that should be included in the entry, please let
me have it soon. I must submit this entry with a few days if it is to be
included in the print edition of the work.

Thanks,
Bethany