Hockey

Mon May 21 19:40:03 UTC 2007

It is the CAUGHT vowel in "coffee" in Brooklyn, and indeed,
throughout the whole NY/NJ area.  A person asking for a cup of
"cahfee" is definitely from someplace outside the Metro region.
Realizations range from the stereotypical [U@] through [o@~O@] to
[O:].  I don't know how widespread this pattern is, but among
monosyllables ending in -og, the NY/NJ pattern is to have CAUGHT in
dog, but COT in all other words.  It's totally foreign to my Western
Michigan students, who have CAUGHT in coffee and all the -og words,
even if their vowel is a fully low, usually back, often-but-not-
always rounded vowel.

Paul Johnston