The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed May 23 16:29:16 UTC 2007

>Nehi?! Cut my legs and call me "shorty"! It's been over a half-century
>since I last saw a reference to that particular brand of soda water.
>Is it still in existence?
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 5/22/07, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>>-----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
>> Subject:      Re: The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

>> Even with a slightly older demographic, Joel, the initial
>> reaction could be the same as you'd get trying to get directions,
>> nowadays, at a gas station: "Huh?"
>> (the other) doug
>> May I have a Nehi, please?
There was a nearly-mint Nehi bottle among the heaps of old household stuff
in this c.1840 farmhouse when we moved here more than thirty years ago.  I
was so tickled to see this old friend, I put it up on the windowsill as a
decoration.  Usually the ones encountered in childhood had been recycled so
many times that all the bosses on the outside  were  scuffed to
near-opacity.  This one says on the bottom" design pat'd  Mar '25"  (I
think, though the molding is a bit blurry & hard to read).
AM