Heard on the Judges

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 23 17:46:39 UTC 2007

Forty-ish black female defendant:

"She come at me rampin' 'n' ravin'."

Judge Maria Lopez:

" ... 'Ramping'? ... _Ranting_ and raving."

Defendant:

"Yes, ma'am. She come at me rantin' ([raen tIn], a Southern-States BE
pronunciation) 'n' ravin'."

Google has a mere 45 instances of "ramping ...," but one of them is
from _The Mystery of Edwin Drood_ by Charles Dickens: "Swaggering
fighting men had had their centuries of _ramping_ and raving ..."

Who knew that this "error," if it is such, had such an impressive pedigree?

-Wilson
-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens