"basket weaving" revisited

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 24 18:58:53 UTC 2007

As well as the reviewer of detective / cop stories, murder mysteries,
and books of that ilk for the Boston Globe. (I don't recall the dates,
but who can forget a name like "Robin W. Winks"?

BTW, does anyone else recall the Scottish author, Sir Iain Moncreiffe
of that Ilk, (i.e. "Moncreiffe of Moncreiffe,") Bart, PhD, etc., etc.,
speaking of names hard to forget?

-Wilson

On 5/24/07, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "basket weaving" revisited
>
> At 5/24/2007 12:34 AM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
> Antedating Sam's 1956 cite for "underwater basket weaving" is this
> >apparently legitimate result from Google Book Search:
> >
> >-----
> >1954 Robin W. Winks _These New Zealanders_ 116 It is also quite true
> >that some American universities offer courses in 'Underwater Basket
> >Weaving,' 'How to Putter About Efficiently', and 'Fly-casting'.
> >http://books.google.com/books?id=8cYhAAAAMAAJ
> >-----
> >
> >(Winks was a US Fulbright Scholar in New Zealand and got his M.A. in
> >Maori studies from Victoria University. He went on to teach history at
> >Yale from 1957 until his death in 2003.)
>
> As well as the editor of a useful set of essays on doing historical
> research -- _What is Evidence?_, Harper & Row, 1969.
>
> Joel

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens