Modern Proverbs Appeal (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 24 21:42:02 UTC 2007

If I had a hammer, and everything looked like a nail, I'd hammer...all over this land.

  JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: Modern Proverbs Appeal (UNCLASSIFIED)

At 2:15 PM -0400 5/24/07, Fred Shapiro wrote:
>On Thu, 24 May 2007, Jim Parish wrote:
>
>>The version I'm familiar with - which I do use as a proverb - is "To a
>>man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I don't know where I
>>ran across it, though.
>
>I suppose it could be considered a quotation that has become proverbial.

A slight (and sex-neutraller) variant I've usually heard is "If you
have a hammer,..."

LH

       Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg-- hot CTA = Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool