"Mc-" prefix, 1963

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri May 25 13:36:29 UTC 2007

Mark Peters wrote:
> The lead dude on the show is nicknamed Dr. McDreamy--another is McSteamy. No insult there at all. Characters come up with words like "McDog" and "McLife" that are also non-McDonalds and non-derogatory, though I seem to remember another character threatening to "McVomit" about all this.
>
>   648,000 Google hits for McDreamy at the moment, so that word's getting a workout.
>
>   Mark
>
> Joseph Salmons <jsalmons at WISC.EDU> wrote:

"McJobs" and the request to have it taken out of the OED gets two
mentions in today's Guardian:

- http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2087862,00.html -- A comment
piece by Polly Toynbee, mostly, but not all, about low-wage jobs in Britain
- http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2087975,00.html -- The
daily "In praise of ..." column. Today: dictionary definitions.

Chris Waigl
who now has online OED access via the Manchester Public Library