CSI: Quebec -- Crack French police unit still pursues English-speaking lawbreakers

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 25 23:26:22 UTC 2007

Ouit shucking andd jiving, Joel. You know what I mean. French is not
endangered in France. If Canadian-French couldn't protect itself, it
would be suffering the same fate that, ironically, France's own
minority languages - Gascon, Basque, Corsican, Limousin, Langue d'Oc
proper, Provencal, Breton, Catalan, Perigourdin, Flemish, etc. - have
suffered or are suffering: reduction to the non-status of "patois,"
followed by extinction.

-Wilson

On 5/25/07, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: CSI: Quebec -- Crack French police unit still pursues
>               English-speaking lawbreakers
>
> At 5/24/2007 04:57 PM, Wilson wrote:
> >All endangered languages should be so fortunate. Normally, only the
> >"national" language has such police powers, as is or has been the case
> >in France, Spain, Russia, Germany, Great Britain, etc. Minority
> >languages are fortunate to be merely left alone as opposed to being
> >actively stamped out.
>
> I'm pleased to read that the French language is endangered.
>
> Joel

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens