Army tells gay translators: don't tell, or don't translate

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Sat May 26 04:57:14 UTC 2007

The initial post complained that  Americans are increasingly monolinguistic,
and don't trust anyone who doesn't  speak English; and gives that as a reason
for the Army's difficulty in finding  good linguists of various sorts, most
notably Arabic.  I beg to  differ.

Americans are not distrustful; rather, we have been robbed.   Whenever a
school district decides to cut financial corners, foreign languages  classes are
the first to go - despite the fact that many of its students will  eventually
travel abroad.  Next is music - even though most of them will  someday attend
at least one concert!  Then driver's ed, of all  things.  Hello, virtually 100%
of your graduates will someday drive a  car, Mr. Superintendent!    Next
under the axe is usually  aides and equipment for specials-needs children.  Words
fail  me.

When times are a little more flush and money can be restored to the  budget,
it all too often is not restored to the things it was taken  from.  Rather,
recent requirements in my own school district include  installing a $3000 heart
defibrillator in each school, even though there has  only been one heart
attack in a school building in the entire school  district during at least the 35
years I've lived here.  Changing all  middle school athletic fields to meet
high school athletic field standards, at  a cost of hundreds of thousands, a
requirement that puzzles even the phys ed  instructors with its pointlessness.
And paying for the increasingly  higher education required of teachers, even
though most of us have to pay for  our own master's degrees.

So you have a public education that does not adequately address the  basics
to blame for Americans' increasing reliance on English.   Unfortunately, for a
huge majority, it's literally all they've ever  known.

Rosemarie

The best auto  safety device is a rearview mirror with a police car in it!

.....<< section truncated due to space constraints  >>