CSI: Quebec -- Crack French police unit still pursues English-speaking lawbreakers

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 26 06:34:35 UTC 2007

I, OTOH, think that the opening of my response may have been phrased a
bit harshly, considering that you have neither facial expression nor
tone of voice to help you. The use of the antiquated BE slang was
supposed to be your clue. IAC, please accept my apologies. Still buds,
right?

-Wilson

On 5/25/07, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: CSI: Quebec -- Crack French police unit still pursues
>               English-speaking lawbreakers
>
> I guess again I failed to be humorous.  I only meant to emulate
> recent right wing attitudes towards France, a la American fries.  As
> well, I suppose, as strike back at my vocal apparatus's inability to
> utter French words or phrases anywhere near correctly.
>
> Joel
>
> At 5/25/2007 07:26 PM, you wrote:
> >Ouit shucking andd jiving, Joel. You know what I mean. French is not
> >endangered in France. If Canadian-French couldn't protect itself, it
> >would be suffering the same fate that, ironically, France's own
> >minority languages - Gascon, Basque, Corsican, Limousin, Langue d'Oc
> >proper, Provencal, Breton, Catalan, Perigourdin, Flemish, etc. - have
> >suffered or are suffering: reduction to the non-status of "patois,"
> >followed by extinction.
> >
> >-Wilson
> >
> >On 5/25/07, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> >>---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >>-----------------------
> >>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> >>Subject:      Re: CSI: Quebec -- Crack French police unit still pursues
> >>               English-speaking lawbreakers
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >>I'm pleased to read that the French language is endangered.
> >>
> >>Joel

> >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
> >

> >--
> >All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> >come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> >-----
> >                                              -Sam'l Clemens

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens