Pronunciation question (from L. Urdang)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 29 14:46:59 UTC 2007

In truespel I represent them, ~didint, ~woodint, ~koodint, ~shoodint (
syllables each).  However, "won't" and "don't" are one syllable each.
Interesting about "won't", I often hear it as ~woent and as ~wuent (where
~ue is as in "true").  It's about 50/50.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Pronunciation question (from L. Urdang)
>Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:34:15 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>Subject:      Pronunciation question (from L. Urdang)
>
>>From Larry Urdang, who was having trouble sending to the list:
>
>----- Forwarded message from Laurence Urdang <urdang at sbcglobal.net> -----
>   Colleagues,
>
>   [IPA is not available in my email font.  I tried to keyboard the unique
>characters in Word, then copy them here from there, but that wouldn't work,
>which is why I have described "X."  For some unknown reason, the schwa
>copied.]
>
>   In my many years of experience in establishing the [phonetic symbols and
>in transcribing the pronunciations of words for dictionaries (Funk &
>Wagnalls International Edition, Random  House Unabridged, Collins English
>Dictionary, etc.), I have always regarded the n in words like didn’t,
>wouldn’t,  couldn’t, shouldn’t, etc. as  a syllabic: ['dIdXt] (where X is a
>lower-case roman "n", with a tiny circle below it), etc., because that’s
>the way they were pronounced by native speakers of English.
>   In recent years, I have noted that their pronunciation has shifted to
>the use of a full schwa: ['dIdənt], etc.  The change appears to be
>very deliberate and emphatic: people are pointedly saying the latter rather
>than the former as if it were a mark of culture or sophistication or,
>perhaps, just for clarity of articulation.
>   Am I hearing things, or has this change been noticed by others?  I
>suggest that it might not be a change but that the schwa pronunciation
>might be increasing in frequency.
>   Has anybody else noticed this, or am I just “hearing things”?  Has any
>written comment appeared on the subject?
>   Laurence Urdang
>   4 Laurel Drive
>   Old Lyme, CT 06371
>   urdang at sbcglobal.net
>
>----- End forwarded message -----

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507