"Location, location, location": a proverb?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed May 30 02:18:29 UTC 2007

Another in the Location X3 family:
Here's the story behind Est Est Est, a rather pleasant white wine, as
retold (for the umpteenth time) at wineintro.com:
"Apparently it was named this in the 1100s, during the times of Henry V. A
German bishop, Johann Fugger, needed to go to Rome for his coronation. He
sent his lacky ahead of him to mark the inns serving the best wines with
"Est!" on their doors in chalk. This stood for vinum est bonum, the wine is
good. When this runner hit Montefiascone, he liked the wine there so much
that he wrote "Est! Est!! Est!!!" on the door!
There is actually a tomb in the Montefiascone church with Fugger's name on
it, although nobody knows for sure how much of the tale is true.
--
The punch line, oddly omitted from this telling, is that Fugger drank so
much of it that he expired.