Real better

David Borowitz borowitz at STANFORD.EDU
Wed May 30 03:31:17 UTC 2007

The other day I heard "It made me feel real better" meaning "a lot better,"
which is something I had never heard before. (Both white; I'm from
Baltimore, she's from Northern California.) I asked my friend about it, and
she claims it's normal for her. She doesn't have "really better," and I
forgot to ask about "real (other comparative adjective)," but I've never
heard that either.

Is this sort of thing widespread? Google is pretty unhelpful in this case,
and I don't know where else to look.

--
It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
    -Tom Stoppard

Borowitz