Tense in BE

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed May 30 11:37:45 UTC 2007

Margaret,

I remember quite distinctly "I BEEN knowing this" (with remotive
stressed BEEN) from Black speakers (Louisville area) from some time
ago (50s). As I recall, however, the context was "Why are you telling
me what I've known for a long time?" The remotive plus progressive is
not at all rare, and this could be the source for the "knowing this"
for you cite, but in your memory it seems to be a simple agreement
marker while I remember it as a slightly annoyed response to old news.

I know; this breaks Preston's law of sociolinguistics #2. But since
both my laws are broken daily here, I can't resist.

dInIs