Tense in BE

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed May 30 15:26:47 UTC 2007

Stative progressives are common here in Southern/Appalachian Ohio but were
totally new to me when I came down here (from Minnesota via St. Louis and
Bloomington, Ind.) in 1980.  We just discussed these in my Sociolx class
last week, with ref. to Michael Montgomery's listing of this form as
Appalachian.  None of the students from other areas claimed to use stative
progressives, though they have heard them; the foreign students, coming
from "book English" studies, predictably considered them ungrammatical.

Beverly