Sterling today and yesteryear [was: "Location, location, location": a proverb?]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 30 22:17:13 UTC 2007

Also, were any of the rubies the size of a soccer ball, like in _The Man Who Would Be King_?

  J "The Facetious" L

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: Re: Sterling today and yesteryear [was: "Location, location,
location": a proverb?]

At 5/30/2007 05:05 PM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>The Office of National Statistics in the UK has a downloadable article at
>
> http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/article.asp?ID=726
>
>with the title Consumer Price Inflation Since 1750. The abstract says that
>"between 1750 and 2003, prices rose by around 140 times". There's a lot
>more information in the full article, I believe.

Not far from the 120 I got via my correspondent, for 1746 to 2002
(perhaps both from the same basic data). And (I say for the second
time) for a "consumer basket", not specifically for jewels and other
plunder. What has been the inflation rate for Old Master or (for a
shorter period) Impressionist paintings?

Joel

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.