Modern Proverbs Appeal

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Thu May 31 12:51:13 UTC 2007

"Saint Christopher retires at 65."  I heard this one from a Catholic
seminarian in 1963.

"Sell the sizzle, not the steak."  This one I got from Wallace Reyburn's
novel (?) _Bust-Up: The uplifting tale of Otto Titzling and the
development of the bra"  (London, Macdonald & Co. Ltd, 1971, no ISBN)
page 51: "...Elmer Wheeler, the man who dubbed himself America's Super
Salesman and wrote books to that effect.  Wheeler's approach to
salesmanship was: 'Selll the sizzle, not the steak.'...said Wheeler, a
good approach to selling was to do the thing obliquely"

And just so Fred Shapiro doesn't feel bad about rejecting my
submissions, here's one I am quite sure he will not be interested in:
"It's all right to let your houseplants see you eating fruit, as long as
you make it clear that the seeds will be given a decent burial."

    - Jim Landau