"ironwork" as wielding an erect penis?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 1 01:20:24 UTC 2007

Does "ironwork" have a sense of employing an erect penis?  In "A
Satyrical Description of Commencement (?1740 but describing itself as
first printed in 1719), there are the lines:

While some intoxicated are with Wine,
Others (as brutish) propagate their Kind:
Where amorous Lads to shady groves resort,
And under Venus with their Misses sport.
Some sing, some dance, some lay the Ground upon,
Whatever fails, the IRON-WORK goes on.

Google gives me a tantalizing snippet:

"... application of clenched fists and ironwork. And despite all
that, he left me in the same state in which he found me. Do not
forget that _you_ have benefited from our liaison. I have given you
time and funds. We should both be thankful."

Allen Kurzweil, _A Case of Curiosities_, 1992, p. 233.  The review on
the Google page says this novel is set in the 18th century, and
mentions sexual incidents from the book.

Joel