lilac

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Nov 1 20:35:54 UTC 2007

The only pronunciation recorded in the OED--and the first pronunciation given in Webster's Third and all the "collegiate"-sized dictionaries I have at hand--is [lail at k]. Until this discussion, I would have supposed that speakers who use ash or [a] in the last syllable were engaging in a spelling-pronunciation. You learn something (almost) every day!

--Charlie