Wilson's St. Louis vowels . . .

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 2 05:26:08 UTC 2007

That's a crappie vowel movement if I ever smelled one.  Some people I know make a vowel movement every day.  Must be some kind of inner urge. ;)

Actually I don't usually hear schwa as "ah" but usually "uh" or "ih".  I did not want to use special symbols for truespel phonetic spelling so I converted all schwas.  It's doable if you have a audible model.  I used "talking" dictionaries.  Hearing one speaker lets one hear what sound the schwa actually is.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:33:29 -0400
> From: cdoyle at UGA.EDU
> Subject: Wilson's St. Louis vowels . . .
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Charles Doyle
> Subject: Wilson's St. Louis vowels . . .
>
> I'd always assumed that, rather being part of a patterned system, the pronunciation of "crappie" with [a] was motivated simply by the desire to avoid a perceived vulgarity! As for "lilac" with a schwa in the last syllable: isn't that pretty standard everywhere?
>
> In high school, my son had two friends named Tara--pronounced differently. Those damn vowels.
>
> --Charlie

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare!