star in

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Fri Nov 2 15:23:47 UTC 2007

>From me, before:

>'Stella (Melina Kanakaredes) and Mac (Gary Sinise) star in "CSI: NY."'

[...]

>Neither *OED* nor *MW* lists this permutation of arguments for *star
>in*.

>From dInIs:

'I see this all the time; the implication is "played by."'

Yes.  It wasn't the first time I had seen it, either;  just the first time I had
had the quotation and an online computer to hand.  That was why I put it on the
list - to flag up that this usage wasn't in (the online versions of) the major
dictionaries.  Not a criticism, of course!  I just thought people might be
interested.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania