antedating of capitalism, Google's help with

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 4 15:04:27 UTC 2007

Since there are 12 books listed in the Harvard
Library catalog whose titles begin "Acts Passed
by the General Assembly of Georgia" (and continue
by identifying some session and year), which from
other research I happened to be aware of already,
I think I'll skip that Google hit!  And all of
them are less than 90-odd pages, so I don't think I'd find page 197.

Also, the presence of the word "state" in the
snippet (twice) is suspicious for 1781 -- and the
view of the title page shows "Acts of the General
Assembly *of the State* of Georgia" (and not
"Passed by").  This is probably the multi-volume
collection (so which volume did Google mean?)
that reproduces acts starting in 1735 (two years
after the first settlers landed), which probably
explains Google's notion of the date.  So which
session/year was the law about the "iron
business" passed in?  If Jesse wants to assign
someone to go to the Harvard Law School library,
perhaps it will turn out to be before 1781 ...

For "Abbregé des derniers mouvemens d'Angleterre,
avec un raisonnement succinct ... - Page 353 by
George Bate - 1651", unfortunately the British
Library on-line catalog does not give the number
of pages (just the size), so I can't tell if it
really has a page 353.  And for an unknown-to-me
reason, this book doesn't show up in the ESTC
(which does give number of pages).

Intriguingly, by searching for "Abbregé des
derniers mouvemens d'Angleterre" I can get
another instance of "capitalist", page
115:  "This strange people had been admitted to
England by the Conqueror; the only capitalists of
the time, their ability and willingness to lend
money rendered them ..."  But the scanned images
do not look like pages from 1651 -- not rude
types, and  no long s.  Finally, when I ask
Google Books what library I can find this book
in, I get the message "No results match your
search for 'Abbregé des derniers mouvemens
d'Angleterre, avec un raisonnement succinct des
droits tant du roy, que du parlement [an abridged
tr. G. Bate's Elenchus motuum nuperorum Anglia]. george bate'."

Finally, FirstSearch/Worldcat tells me there is an
Abbregé des derniers mouvemens d'Angleterre. Avec
un raisonnement succinct des droits tant du Roy, que du Parlement.
Language: French  Type:  Book
Publisher: Anvers, Belgium : Jacques Moens, 1651.
(Yes, Univ. of Oxford has a copy.)

So Google has helpfully given us the date of the
*French* "Abbregé", and the text of some later *English* translation?!

I think I'll also skip the books still in Latin.

Joel