Competing forms: swiffed vs swiffered (was: tased vs tasered)

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Sun Nov 4 17:54:00 UTC 2007

If you enter the search term in quotation marks then Google won't return the
associated forms.
Searching on "tased" vs. tased returns roughly the same number of ghits
(320,000 vs. 318,000), but the former returns only hits on the exact word
_tased_.

The TASER company legal page tells us that TASER is an acronym for "Thomas
A. Swift's Electric Rifle," and that one should "always use a TASER
trademark as an adjective, not a noun or verb."

Incorrect: "The officer shot his taser" or "I'm going to TASER you."

Correct: "The officer shot his TASER device" or "I'm going to stop you with
a TASER device."
http://www.taser.com/legal/Pages/trademarks.aspx

Melanie Lynne Hauser has written 2 novels now about a supermom who has an
accident with a swiffer that releases her superpowers. On her website you
can read the first chapter of the first novel, which includes this
interesting passage:

I made quick work of the kitchen, taking full advantage of my ability to
clean with the power of 10,000 Swiffers, which was by far the most practical
of the superpowers I had acquired since suffering my Horrible Swiffer
Accident last fall.  (***Swiffer, by the way, is a remarkable cleaning
product that I heartily endorse.  And which was not responsible for my
Horrible Swiffer Accident, as I had violated the warranty by negligently
pouring dangerous combinations of household cleaners in the reservoir and
inhaling their fumes due to improper ventilation.)

***Just a little legal mumbo-jumbo that Proctor and Gamble "suggested" I use
from now on.
http://www.melanielynnehauser.com/SMSTWChapOne.html

Unfortunately we cannot search inside the books at Amazon, but I'm pretty
sure we won't find any analyzed forms of Swiffer in there. These companies
assiduously patrol the media for copyright violations and the larger print
outlets have received plenty of warning notices.

The analyzed forms will show up mostly in unpatrollable usage, such as
everyday speech and genres that relay on everyday speech such as police
reports or legal testimony.

--Clai Rice