Proposal: A separate antedatings list

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Nov 5 17:01:11 UTC 2007

From:    ronbutters at AOL.COM

<snip>

> ...I'm satisfied that this loss is not
> important to the members of the list--that most people seem to like
> it the way it is--a list serve devoted largely to antedatings,
> updating the lexicographical record by listing every variant on every
> food and drink term current in the world, posting every
> might-be-a-eggcorn (even though Zwicky maintains a separate online
> list) and every thought that comes into the heads of two or three of
> our more gabby contributors...

Part of the issue may also be that not everyone is aware of other
resources. For example, this was the first i'd heard that there's a
separate eggcorns list.

Maybe subject line prefixing *would* be the way to go--but that would
require a mini-FAQ (which could also include stuff like pointers to the
DSNA and eggcorns lists, plus others that might be out there) to
introduce newbies to the rules, but who has the time or knowledge to
pull off writing one?[1]

[1] Not me, for certain.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida